19 September 2012

C H A N G E S






I returned on Saturday from ten days at my uncle's house in Yakima, Washington. Ashley and I spent every day relaxing, enjoying the peace and quiet, swimming and playing pool volleyball. We had the most amazing time. Both of us were whining and dragging our feet like spoiled children on our last day there. It literally felt heartbreaking to leave. It may sound funny, but those ten days changed my life! Of course it was a combination of my experiences traveling in Europe, but without that time to be still, reflect and process everything without the distractions of friends, family and every day life, I believe I never would have come to the decision that I did.

What I realized is that all I really want to be doing right now is learning. When I got home, I found that I have a thirst for knowledge that wasn't present in the same way before. A lot of my time in Yakima was spent sitting in front of the computer, learning. There are so many resources online where you can enroll in courses from top schools around the world for free. It's amazing! I am taking a class on Health Policy & The Affordable Care Act at U Penn (via coursera.org) and it's been so interesting. I kept wishing I were there in the classroom so I could engage with the professor and students. So, shocking friends family alike, I rather suddenly decided to go back to school - which is something I haven't done in a real way for ten years/ever (since high school). I scrambled to get my application in, register and pick up my books only four days before the quarter started.

Today is my first day and I am excited and nervous. If I decide to stick with the path I think I want to go down, my life is going to look very different from how I have always envisioned it. Instead of struggling to make a career out of art or photography, I am going to study political science and Spanish. I am sure I sound naive and idealistic, but I want to do what I can to make the world a little bit better. I think everyone knows we need more people to be doing that right now!

My need for creative expression won't go away, I'm sure - so Marmunia will be sticking around. In fact I am excited to see how I can use all of these skills to benefit each other. Maybe I'll become a political journalist, or a photo journalist - I can use my blog to explore that a little bit, if you don't mind. Or, maybe I'll be the future President of the United States.

JUST KIDDING!


4 comments:

  1. Yay I'm so excited for you! :) It's awesome you're going back to school. I always miss the classroom now that I'm working in an office every day. Can't wait to hear more about your back to school experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. School will boost your conceptual sense monumentally! Haha, so it will help you come up with out of this world artist's statements. ;) Congratulations on arriving at a decision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi honey, ahhh so th emystery is unveiled! I love that you are going back to school! We're on the same vibe you and me at the moment! See that blog entry I wrote the other night... It will make you smile!
    xxx http://www.towardsnewseas.com/2012/09/25/when-the-past-meets-the-present/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds nice! It's always great to go back to school I think. I also find photography is such a great skill set to attach onto other areas as well...

    This is a program that looked super interesting in Oregon you might like: http://conflict.uoregon.edu/

    ~ lori
    http://lorikiessling.com/journal/

    ReplyDelete