06 January 2011

kind of corny


I keep these quotes on the sticky notes of my computer. They calm me down when I start to feel confused, overwhelmed and aimless. 

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
—Helen Keller
What I really lack is to be clear in my mind what I am to do, not what I am to know, except in so far as a certain knowledge must precede every action. The thing is to understand myself, to see what God really wishes me to do: the thing is to find a truth which is true for me, to find the idea for which I can live and die. ... I certainly do not deny that I still recognize an imperative of knowledge and that through it one can work upon men, but it must be taken up into my life, and that is what I now recognize as the most important thing.
Søren Kierkegaard , Letter to Peter Wilhelm Lund dated August 31, 1835

1 comment:

  1. Oh this was the perfect day for me to read that Keller quote. Today (and the last few days) have felt like those tiny pushes that I can't see adding up to anything. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete