15 April 2011

back in time

Over the past several days, a morbid curiosity has been awakening in me to see what was left over there at my livejournal. This has mostly been inspired by the giant (giant!) box of all of my old journals that I had to drag home after relieving my parents of them. For those of you who "knew" me back then, you'll remember that I took my livejournal very seriously. Well, I took journaling in general very seriously. I have novel sized journals - a series of them - stacks and stacks of them. I'm still not sure how I found the time to dedicate to writing pages of detailed notes about my day.

Anyway. Revisiting my past and leafing through all of those journals left me slightly hungry for some livejournal reminiscing. So, I paid bunnyspoons (cringe) a visit and was irritated when I realized the old code I had written to customize my layout no longer worked - so it was impossible to navigate back beyond the first page. I impressed myself when I remembered the password at my first login attempt. I then changed the settings so that I could read and continue to be mortified by my younger self. This may be a huge mistake, but feel free to do the same.

It's actually kind of comical. I also must say I'm very proud of myself for growing up!


Ps. I would truly love it if all of you 'livejournalites' identified yourselves! We really had it going on back then, you know?

10 comments:

  1. My livejournal that I still use occasionalyl & privately goes back to 2005 - scary! While it is easy to say "what was I thinking?!" back then, it's interesting to see how you've grown and matured through those experiences. I know I have other journals out there and a trunk of journals at my folks house in storage as well from when I was really young.

    Are you planning on keeping your box of journals? I feel like throwing mine away would be so sad... but do I really want to read about the boy I had a crush on in 9th grade when I'm in my thirties? I'm not sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a tough decision to make. There's so many of them, and they're taking up so much room that I don't have to spare. And, just like you said - is there any information in here that I'll care about much later? However, reading them has been really fun and has reminded me of things I had completely forgotten. It's been sweet to recall memories shared with my best friends and family. Some of them have even re-taught me some lessons that are relevant and valuable to me now, which is interesting.

    I will probably have to read through all of them and decide which ones stay and which ones go. I'm guessing the earlier ones can be discarded, and the ones from my 20s I can hang on to for a little while longer. Being a sentimental person makes the decision even harder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on livejournal and followed you. My last was theskywascandy.livejournal.com. I deleted and purged my account a few years ago, though. I hate having old thoughts sitting out on the internet after I've moved on. I kind of feel the same about my paper journals, but for some reason I've never been able to get rid of them. I always think, "Maybe my kids would want to read this someday." But then when I think about my mother's journals, I wouldn't want to read them...I'd feel like I was invading her privacy, though many, many years later. Such a conundrum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me! But you knew that ;) I actually deleted (!) mine after backing everything up. I was in a weird wave of paranoia about... I don't even know what. But I have those files and will definitely have some cringefests of my own rereading them in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i used to follow you on livejournal ever since you were bunnyspoons.. i remember emailing you once asking if i could use a little illustration you did of a hamster.

    i have a little confession.. you kinda got me started on taking photos ! if i recall correctly you had a little nikon point and shoot and i wanted so badly to take photos like yours that i bought one too (it was my 2nd digital camera), hoping i could take pictures like yours. i also remember you had a lovely green room and always had the most beautiful illustrations. i've never really been able to draw, so i just stuck to taking photos.. which i still post now

    so thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know i'm from livejournal! me and hannah actually started writing in ours again haha. my entries are still few and far between, but there is a nice feeling that i can be honest and open online sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that must be the greatest compliment! I am so flattered, as your photos are really very good. Much better than my own, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that's so funny - I'll have to go check them out and leave a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am almost feeling like I should do the same. I found myself laughing pretty hard at a lot of it though - I just hope everyone else can do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  10. kind of a belated comment, but i remember when you livejournal'd as idrewhearts! we didn't follow each other, but i always liked your posts & would check in occasionally (as i am right now, i hope that isn't creepy?). i was jen_uine - much cringing whenever i glance back, but it's nice to have those memories locked away online.

    ReplyDelete